iPad page scrolling

Forum to ask for any help
anderdea

iPad page scrolling

Post by anderdea » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Is there a way to scroll horizontall through my component pages on my iPad. The only way I see how to get to my developed component pages (TV,Receiver,Dish network receiver, etc.) Is to use a sunbpage with jumps to those pages.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: iPad page scrolling

Post by DemoPad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:16 pm

Any subpage can scroll - by making the scrollable height/width smaller than the total height/width.

Please see http://designer.docs.demopad.com/pages/subpages/

Alternatively, you could use a gesture action (swipe left/right etc) to set flags which show different subpages

anderdea

Post by anderdea » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Don’t want to scrol subpages although they a part on my main pages. I want to scroll right or left through my main component pages, TV, Dish, receiver, etc.

Also I’ve been trying to get something to work but with no success. My Dish Receiver will skip forward 30 seconds at a time with the tap of the button. I’m trying to get it to skip forward 6 time for a total of 3 miniutes (through Commercials on recorded programs) by tapping the button once with 6 repeats in the button command section with a .3 second delay between each command. No matter what I do using the press or the release action the most I get is an advance of 1 minute. I dont want to use hold and repeat as I don’t want to have to keep my finger on the button. What am I doing wrong.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:53 pm

If the subpage was the same size as the main page, you can scroll entire pages if you want....

Gesture swipe with a transparent button on your main page sounds like your best bet - to do page jumps.

Delays are not cumulative, so I assume your delays are:

0.3 send command
0.6 send command
0.9 send command

etc?

anderdea

Post by anderdea » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:02 pm

OK, I get it and was able to get the 3 minute skip advance to work.

0.3 skip 30 seconds
0.6 skip 30 seconds
0.9 skip 30 seconds
1.2 skip 30 seconds
1.5 skip 30 seconds
1.8 skip 30 seconds

For a total skip ahead of 180 seconds or 3 minutes. The individual delays although not cumulative dictate how long it will take for the next command executes. I wasn’t increasing the time of each by .3 seconds. I was putting .3 on all six actions originally.

Does this only work on a button release or will it work on a button press also?

I will also try the hidden button gesture thing. A question however, I’m assuming that a large rectangular transparent gesture jump button say at the bottom of the page can’t cover any other buttons as they won’t be accessible with a large transparent button covering them?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:20 pm

It works exactly the same way on a button press yes.

And yes - the large transparent button must be 'behind' the other buttons, but you can do that with the 'send to back' option on the leftmost menu. Or you can just have a smaller defined area not covered by other buttons on which to swipe.

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 pm

anderdea wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:40 pm
Don’t want to scrol subpages although they a part on my main pages. I want to scroll right or left through my main component pages, TV, Dish, receiver, etc.
I wanted to do the same thing as you with regards to moving the pages left or right for additional pages, like how I had it setup in iRule. What I ended up doing is creating a large transparent button on either side of the page and added the gesture swipe to the button. So if I want to move the page to the left or right, I have it set to swipe and the page that I have it set to comes up. I haven't set it to slide in, yet, but it does take me to the page that I want to go to. I have the opposite large transparent button on the subpages, so I can swipe back and forth between pages.

Cable Main Page --> <--Subpage Channels 1--> <--Subpage Channels Music 2-->Cable Main Page
Receiver Main Page --> <--Subpage Receiver Setup--> <--Subpage Receiver Setup Advanced-->Receiver Main Page

Along the above lines.

anderdea

Post by anderdea » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:22 pm

What did you use for the transparent button? I used one of DemoPads gesture control buttons but I don’t like the way it looks on the bottom of the page. A bluish stretched rectangular button at the bottom of each of my component pages so I can swipe left or right.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:29 pm

In the 'Free Graphics Set' folder, 'Buttons' there is a transparent png file. It is small, but you can resize, and you won't actually see it on the UI.

anderdea

Post by anderdea » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:52 pm

DemoPad wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:29 pm
In the 'Free Graphics Set' folder, 'Buttons' there is a transparent png file. It is small, but you can resize, and you won't actually see it on the UI.
This is what I used as a template and just sized it to what I needed so that it fits along the edges of my page. Since you don't see it, who cares if it is stretched etc.

I also have two that are in the corners that I am testing out for opening and closing "drawers" aka subpages on a few screens. Versus having two button words that sit below the subpage slide ins that say "Open" and "Close". A little cleaner on the interface but there is nothing that prompts the user. Still testing this out.

anderdea

Post by anderdea » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm

I had the page scrolling working OK but it’s better now as I don’t see the transparent button. Also, it really needs to be put in an area that doesn’t have any buttons. I have subpages on each side of my main pages so that isn’t the best place for my swipe action. Even when the swipe button is sent behind, if it covers some buttons the swipe action doesn’t work over those button areas and a button might be accidentally activated in the process of swiping. I try to keep an area clear on the bottom of my page for the stretched swipe button. I wonder how iRule made it happen so seemlessly.

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:16 pm

anderdea wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm
I had the page scrolling working OK but it’s better now as I don’t see the transparent button. Also, it really needs to be put in an area that doesn’t have any buttons. I have subpages on each side of my main pages so that isn’t the best place for my swipe action. Even when the swipe button is sent behind, if it covers some buttons the swipe action doesn’t work over those button areas and a button might be accidentally activated in the process of swiping. I try to keep an area clear on the bottom of my page for the stretched swipe button. I wonder how iRule made it happen so seemlessly.
With iRule (Drawers), you had the drawer handles which were always present on the side you picked it for, or you hid the handles and had buttons that would open the drawers. Whether the button was setup as a stand alone button to open and close the drawer or set as a trigger based on an action.

If you are referring to having the pages setup so you could swipe anywhere on the page and have it move to the next, I don't know as that was one of the features I really liked. In fact I have a thread almost like this on here also. While it isn't the best approach, it does work and so far I have been happy with it. However having said that, I would love for us to be able have several pages underneath a main object that you can swipe back and forth between like what we had in iRule.

What you can also do, is have a hidden button on the page, in my case what I am testing out, is having it in the corners where your thumbs tend to go, and just tap it and it takes you to a page. The wife actually likes this better because the swipe is not for everyone or how you implement it on the page, or how it is done via the app itself.

I attached two background layouts where I have the buttons residing. The yellow is just to show you where they are actually placed. When you open up the remote you don't see them. The small ones are what I am experimenting with. They are not swipe but more of a press that takes you to the next page. The long ones are setup as swiping areas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anderdea

Post by anderdea » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Mine is a pretty simple set up. I have about 9 pages of components (still building in designer) with subpages that show up on each page to navigate to differing AV component pages. At the bottom of the page in the open area is my swipe pages area. I want to duplicate my iRule setup first thus learning DemoPad and then maybe build a new design down the road. I’ve found the most time consuming part of this process is adding and converting Pronto Hex code to GC “sendir” format.

What makes it a bit difficult In my setup is I have a TV system based around an old Mitsubishi 73” DLP TV (still has a great picture), Dish Network satellite receiver and a older Pioneer AV receiver with sound bar and shared rear speakers from my main system. The Mitz speakers really aren’t good. The main system is based around a Denon 7.1 AV receiver (IP controlled - see attachment) and a new Sony 4K projector. I can route any source to the TV or the Projector and have Macros on my Home page to do that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cv27

Post by cv27 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Pretty busy display: I just hope you're not using a cell. phone to navigate ;)

I actually started this way, trying to get all the possible options onto one page. I use a mini iPad and even then found that I had to be very careful how I pressed the buttons. My design has evolved over the years to only keep the most commonly used buttons and have 'drawers' to pull in those seldom used commands.

One example is a virtual keyboard: takes a lot of space, so into a sliding drawer.