iPad Gestures - inlew of switching to their remote?

Forum to ask for any help
rhett7660

iPad Gestures - inlew of switching to their remote?

Post by rhett7660 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:36 am

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anything built into DemoPad or a third party plug in that could give me the feel of moving my thumb up a pad and based on my thumb movement it would dictate how far etc? Almost like how they have their remote setup?

I am just curious if this is something that is setup from within DemoPad. Right now, I have a open app working to open the Apple Remote. Would like to keep it all within the DemoPad app if possible.

Thanks again
Last edited by rhett7660 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: iPAD Gestures - inlew of switching to their remote?

Post by DemoPad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:13 am

There is the x,y co-ordinate system for any button, which lets you assign 2 number variables (x,y) which change as you slide your finger around. You can then use custom number actions to execute commands depending on the value of the numbers. It depends on the control method though, if you are using IR, then it will be difficult to use this - but for example it could control volume if you had discrete volume commands, just like a gauge does.

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Is there a tutorial on this? I am not familiar enough yet on how to assign XY coordinates to a button yet. In fact I have not seen or read about this from the items I have been able to track down via google search.

It would be via IR since I don't think there is a way to control the Apple TV via IP, I could be wrong, I remember looking at this before and at that time there was no way to do this. Of course things could have changed over the past year or so.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:21 pm

It is very similar to a gauge, just with x and y rather than just y for a gauge. You won't be able to do much with IR though controlling an AppleTV, as the IR commands are limited.

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Ah, ok. I am probably better off at this point either opening up the Apple Remote App or switching to the physical remote (which is what I am doing right now for the most part).

ekkoville

Post by ekkoville » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Sticking with IP or RS232 control then, sounds like it is possible to use the gesture pad in the designer to do this? For cursor movement or volume/channel selections, it looks like this will work. The cursor pad in the demo on the iPhone looks great while sliding your thumb over it. It seems that this is gesture control like we are accustomed to?

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:25 pm

ekkoville wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:10 pm
Sticking with IP or RS232 control then, sounds like it is possible to use the gesture pad in the designer to do this? For cursor movement or volume/channel selections, it looks like this will work. The cursor pad in the demo on the iPhone looks great while sliding your thumb over it. It seems that this is gesture control like we are accustomed to?
Do you have a link to the gesture/cursor pad you are referring to?

I know in another piece of software there was the gesture control baked in, however I am still struggling with trying to get this done with Demopad.

ekkoville

Re: iPad Gestures - inlew of switching to their remote?

Post by ekkoville » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:18 pm

I’ll look when I get home, but I think it’s under the free graphic set, it may even be called gesture. That’s where I think I saw it. When you swipe, it has a trailing light that fades out as you swipe across.

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 am

ekkoville wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:18 pm
I’ll look when I get home, but I think it’s under the free graphic set, it may even be called gesture. That’s where I think I saw it. When you swipe, it has a trailing light that fades out as you swipe across.
Ahhh ok, going to check it out and see if I can find it.

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:23 am

ekkoville wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:18 pm
I found the graphics, but there is nothing attached to them. Just the graphics themselves. Sounds like there might be some other files I will need to look into.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 am

Any button can have gesture actions - go to the gesture actions menu & choose the actions to perform when the button is swiped left, right etc.

The effect with the trailing lights is done with image sets which are usually hidden, but revealed when flags are set, to give the effect of moving lights.The associated images are in the same graphics folder - you can add them as images, and set flags: Show Lights 1, Show Lights 2 etc with delays to make them visible momentarily.

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:32 pm

DemoPad wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 am
Any button can have gesture actions - go to the gesture actions menu & choose the actions to perform when the button is swiped left, right etc.

The effect with the trailing lights is done with image sets which are usually hidden, but revealed when flags are set, to give the effect of moving lights.The associated images are in the same graphics folder - you can add them as images, and set flags: Show Lights 1, Show Lights 2 etc with delays to make them visible momentarily.
I am assuming you can have a single button with say four different gestures correct? Swipe L/R/U/D for example?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:15 pm

rhett7660 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:32 pm
I am assuming you can have a single button with say four different gestures correct? Swipe L/R/U/D for example?
Correct - each gesture type has its own independent action list

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:50 pm

DemoPad wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:15 pm
rhett7660 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:32 pm
Correct - each gesture type has its own independent action list
Great!!!!

Thank you

ekkoville

Post by ekkoville » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:57 am

I haven’t tested yet, but I did assign four command for cursor control to the gesture pad. Not difficult but I still have to add the fancy lights. Is there a tutorial on what type of setting that is? Is a flag?