VPN on IOS

Forum to ask for any help
starwarsmike

VPN on IOS

Post by starwarsmike » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi

Does anyone use Demopad on IOS 8 or above, via a VPN connection?

Only recently via my VPN, that no feedback data incurs or actions sent over WIFI, but does when on 3G

Things I've tried to narrow down where the issue is;

1), The VPN connection itself on my router is working, both when connected via 3g & wifi, I can connect to my router via my browser.
2), Tried from 2 different external locations, in case it was a certain router blocking the feedback or actions, same issue, no feedback actions over WIFI.
3), The fact that the VPN is working via 3g, tell me everything is working from my network, and should be feeding data back.
4), The feedback & actions issue on both my iPad IOS 8.3 & iPhone IOS 8.3, which makes me think there might be an issue with IOS 8.3?
5), The feedback issue or actions using Roomie, which tells me it's not Demopad

I wonder if Apple have changed something, in light of the Home kit launch

If any uses a VPN or can test for me, that would be appreciated.

Thank you

Idealhomes

Re: VPN on IOS

Post by Idealhomes » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 pm

We run a Centro8 over a VPN (windows based) and ours works great on 3/4g, will test out on a different network and report back tonight.
"Setting the Standard in Quality and Commitment"

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Idealhomes

Did you manage to test a VPN from iPad or iPhone on IOS8??

Thankd for your help

Idealhomes

Post by Idealhomes » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:31 am

Hi Mike

Sorry for the late reply, didn't get to connect to another network until this morning.

I had no problems at all connecting to the Centro and firing commands from either 3G and a wireless connection over a cable service.

By any chance has the network you are trying to connect from have a port forwarded already for a VPN connection?

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi Idealhomes

mmm...this is where my lack of knowledge comes in, but you might be onto something. I basicially live out of the same hotel during the week. They have just upgraded to BT Fibre with Homehub 5.

When it was working, all i done, was setup the VPN server on my router, and then on my iPad. Everything simply worked, no need to configure ports or configure my Demopad project with any remote or port info.

I am now starting to think, the Hotel's new BT router is the problem...I don't know much about port forwarding to be honest.

Any ideas?

Idealhomes

Post by Idealhomes » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:51 pm

I have the exact same problem connecting via VPN to a clients system from our network here, turn off our VPN tunnel in our Miktotik router and I can then access their network. I have asked our IT guy to look into the problem but have not had anything back. I'll push him this week for a result.

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:14 am

Just to confirm

When I'm off-site, & turn on the VPN, i can access my router via Safari browser, which tells me the VPN connection itself is working, but just can't send commands from Demopad, or any other app, like Roomie or IP camera's.

Hopefully your guy has a solution.

Cheers

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi

I think the issue is the BT Home Hub 5, looks like it doesn't support PPTP Pass-Through.