ONKYO 2 way feedback

Forum to ask for any help
tytherman

ONKYO 2 way feedback

Post by tytherman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:00 pm

I am starting to get the hang of some things now, I have set up 2 way feedback for the basic on/off and inputs for my Onkyo reciever but I want to how I can ask the Onkyo what input it is on without changing inputs? i.e. is there a "get status command"?

also how do I add the volume, I have read lots and am confused as to what is achievable in terms of a slider to show actual volume - in other words if you us ethe manual volume control it reflects in the demopad app or is that not possible?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: ONKYO 2 way feedback

Post by DemoPad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:05 am

You should be able to send a command, for example:

!1SLIQSTN

Should retrieve the input status. You could send this command every x seconds on a page load action.

As for volume, It is possible, but requires quite a bit of setup because of the way the Onkyo returns volume data. For other amplifiers, it is simply a question of entering a pattern such as :

VOL=(.*) and assigning that to a number variable, which updates the gauge. However, for Onkyos you need to specify each possible volume as a separate specific data condition, eg:

MVL00
MVL01
MVL0A
MVL0B
MVL64

And adjust a number manually to the decimal equivalent of the hex number returned...

An alternative is to just look for things like:

MVL1 - which will match MVL10 - MVL1F, giving you a rough indicator of the volume range, with less conditions to input.

Again, !1MVLQSTNshould retrieve the volume.

tytherman

Post by tytherman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:13 am

thanks for this, I might be missing something obvious but surely once someone has created the DC2 file for 2 way everyone could use the same one? I am very new to demopad but it seems that the support in response times is very good but there is no repository for downloading things such as this?

so to sumarise the points you made if I create a flag on opening demopad that sends the command !1SLIQSTN I will be able to determine which input is on and therefore whihc activity is in operation - i.e. one ipad starts then another opens?

in terms of the volume how would I use the information for each different volume to move a slider? would I have to create a flag for every volume and then how do I put this onto a slider?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:34 am

They could use the same exported file for the feedback conditions, but not for the actions to take when the conditions occur - for example you'd need to set a number to the decimal value of the feedback to affect a gauge - that number variable would be specific to your project.

You'd just use a number variable for the volume, and link that number to a gauge, setting it to the appropriate value when you see the feedback. As I say, this is not ideal with Onkyos, with other amps it can be done with a single feedback pattern....and not 100 different ones..

tytherman

Post by tytherman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:41 am

Understood. how do you set a number to the decimel value?

can you tell me the quickest way to add the !1SLIQSTN to automatically set the flag relevant to the input on loading the app? I am using the graphics set 1 4 room ipad sample.

thanks

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Action type: set a number, choose the number variable, and set the data to the numeric value. This will automatically update any gauges linked to it.

You'd send the request command every x seconds using the page load actions (which can repeat). Then you'd need to match each possible response as a specific condition in the 2-way module, and set the appropriate flag. Create a group of flags called 'current source' and have each possible flag within. Then for a given response, set the entire group of flags to OFF, and then the specific input flag to ON. That way, only 1 flag will be on at once (presumably linked to a button to highlight it etc)

tytherman

Post by tytherman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 am

thanks that worked! As you said it was time consuming puting every permutation in - which I must confess I didnt as there are volumes too high that I never use and vice versa too low.

I would attach the file but for some inexplicable reason it won't let me upload a dc2 file!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

tetra

Post by tetra » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Anyone having the feedback file?

simplysav

Post by simplysav » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:01 am

I have successfully got a gauge displaying the volume data fed back from an Onkyo amp using the two way communication as per this thread, but I am struggling to connect the gauge back to the volume so that I can swipe the gauge to control the volume of the amp. I can see from another thread how to do this for a Yamaha amp, but I could do with assistance on the Onkyo please.

link1896

Post by link1896 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:56 pm

simplysav wrote:I have successfully got a gauge displaying the volume data fed back from an Onkyo amp using the two way communication as per this thread, but I am struggling to connect the gauge back to the volume so that I can swipe the gauge to control the volume of the amp. I can see from another thread how to do this for a Yamaha amp, but I could do with assistance on the Onkyo please.

if you can share your project file, i will have a look and see what i can work out

Smarthuset AS

Post by Smarthuset AS » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:48 pm

Looks like I'm not the only one with this challenge... :cry:
tytherman wrote:I would attach the file but for some inexplicable reason it won't let me upload a dc2 file!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
phpBB doesn't allow rare filetypes (like .dc2), so if you could plrease rename the file to .txt and upload it - that would help us a lot(!)

Anyone care to share an example project with 2-way feedback for Onkyo or Integra receiver ?

(I tried this examplefile; http://demopad.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 9134#p6920 but no luck on this either...)

...and please explain step-by-step what and how to set it up!
Kind regards
Even B. Mangset
CEO
Tel: (+47)97979729
If you want to connect, please visit our social channels