Newbie Question

Forum to ask for any help
andrew.vint

Newbie Question

Post by andrew.vint » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:28 am

Hi I am looking for a bit of advice from the other members of this board who have hopefully been there done that so to speak.

I have already done most of the work on my home system with the installation of a central network cabinet, I have in there my Sky Boxes, XBOX One, Xbox 360, Apple TV and I have a media 'server' running Plex (still to configure TBH as just downloaded yesterday).

There is an Aten VM0808H 8x8 HDMI Matrix in place to distribute all the sources to each TV and the Sky IR is distributed using the old school tvLink IR and a loft box.

All does what I want to be honest but the missing piece is integrating the control of it all ... currently using various apps, remotes, web interfaces etc.

I need a simple guide on how to pull all this together using DemoPad which from the looks of it can do what I want in unifying control.

The only are I really don't get is how to send RS232 commands to each device such as the HDMI matrix or the amps ? Do I buy a control box ? or is it software running on a PC with a serial cable and also what controls the IR signals with this software.

Sorry if this all sounds basic but I just don't know and would appreciate the guidance.

Thanks

Andrew Vint

trevorst

Re: Newbie Question

Post by trevorst » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:59 pm

The most popular solution are the Global Cache iTach units.
I have been using them for a couple of years with out problems.
Because you have an equipment room and distributed IR one serial and one IR iTach may be all you need.

Demopad also has the Centro that does what the iTachs do and more, but may be only available to pro installers, send Demopad an email

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Andrew

The best way to learn, I've found is to look at example projects, PM message me your email & I will happily send you a link to see my project.

andrew.vint

Post by andrew.vint » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks mike ... Any help would be appreciated, especially somewhere to start