Error transferring data

Forum to ask for any help
rrehart

Error transferring data

Post by rrehart » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Almost without exception, every time I modify my project and try to upload the files I get a "Network Error" on the iPad and 6 - 8 "Error loading project..." pop-up windows on my computer. Doing nothing more than trying to reload 8 or 9 times from the iPad, it finally works without error. MADDENING! :evil:

How do I get this to upload the FIRST TIME - EVERY TIME??

My computer is Windows7 64bit. I have a static address of 10.10.10.10 so neither the upload URL or project name changes at any time. The iPad can ping the computer and the computer can ping the iPad on port 51001, so I know that's open.

HELP!

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: Error transferring data

Post by DemoPad » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:13 pm

The upload process is quite unforgiving, if there is any error transferring files then it will fail. Suggest turning off the 'reload images' option on the iOS device if no images have been altered/added, as this will cause the app just to download a single file. if the upload fails, close down the transfer window on the PC & try again. Also turn off cellular data & operate purely on wifi.

Are you running Parallels on a Mac by any chance? Make sure the VM settings for the network are set to Bridged, though it sounds like you have confirmed the network connection already.

rrehart

Post by rrehart » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:51 pm

1. It is a WiFi only iPad, so cellular data is not an issue.
2. I tried shutting off "Reload images/ sounds?" and still have the issue.
3. I am running your program on a PC, not a Mac, so it isn't Parallels.

Any other ideas? Is there a way to transfer the files directly (ie, with an SDHC card)?

This is driving me nuts....

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:47 am

You can always send the files in the _Files folder (after pressing F5 / Upload to device) to an FTP somewhere, and download the project from a web location instead of a local upload - just like the app loads a project up from our server the first time the app is installed...

tendrils

Post by tendrils » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:04 am

I know this is an old thread but here goes....

I have this issue every.damned.time and it is indeed the stuff that murder/suicide cases are made from...

"The upload process is quite unforgiving, if there is any error transferring files then it will fail"

should read

"The upload process is flakey as hell, and borderline unusable, we at demopad take no responsibility for damage caused by you throwing your ipad across the room"

I have tried EVERYTHING.

after 12 months of beating my head against this issue I have found a workaround that reduces the failure rate from 99% to about 50%

Slightly more reliable upload procedure:

1. Disconnect your iPad from the wireless network
2. Disconnect your PC from the wireless network
3. Count to 5 (6 may work as well)
4. Reconnect your iPad to the wireless network
5. Reconnect your PC to the wireless network
6. Hit "Upload Project to App" nb. Don't proceed by clicking "yes" Just yet
7. Start DemoPad app with reload settings enabled
8. IMMEDIATELY Click "Yes" On your PC.
9. Chant a mantra, click your heels together three times, sacrifice a virgin, swallow a live goldfish.

If all goes well your chances of a successful upload will go from "A snowballs chance in hell" to "Maybe it will work"

This is the only thing I have found that has brought me even close to a reliable upload.

I haven't a clue why this works.

I have zero issues with any of the other networking tasks that I perform regularly, webpage control of xbmc, NAS management, uPNP, general file sharing, internet sharing all work flawlessly but Demopad just refuses to play ball.

There is clearly an issue with the upload procedure that needs attention. I'm not a programmer or a networking guru so I'm at a loss to suggest what the issue is or what the fix is but suffice to say that I'm far from the only user to call it broke.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:04 pm

I suspect this issue relates to your specific wireless network / equipment, otherwise we would have hundreds of emails being sent in to support with the same problem every week, and we do not. Are you able to try using another network configuration? Are any of your project files unusually large? You can always turn off 'reload images' if you have only made changes to your project, and not the actual images within - this will mean the iPad only downloads a single file - the project file, and not all of the images each time. Also suggest hard wiring your computer to the network if possible, rather than connecting via wireless.

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:36 pm

I have to agree with Demopad on your issue, it it does sound like a problem with your network. I have used Demopad for several years now with three different routers and have had just a couple of failures, compared to hundreds of successful loads. My success rate has to be greater than 99%.
What is connected to your network, both wired and wireless?

cv27

Post by cv27 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:46 pm

I see this scenario so often! I've lived it myself, albeit not with DemoPad. In the original poster's case, DemoPad upload is an issue, but every other network related task on his system works fine, so it must be DemoPad. But at the same time, the majority of DemoPad users don't experience this issue.

The message to the original poster is this: you need to accept that a set of conditions, unique to your environment, is causing failure. What you need to do next is to identify the various points between the DemoPad editor and the iPad. Then you try to isolate each point and take it out of the equation until you find the guilty party. The problem most of us have with this is that it's a long process. But it's debugging 101.

My best suggestion would be identify someone (friend, family) that has a compatible system. Move your project over to that system and try an upload. Works? Then you just proved it's not a DemoPad issue. Doesn't work? Then I'd look into my iPad. If it did work, next then go back to your system, borrow the other system's wireless router and test. And so on.

Idealhomes

Post by Idealhomes » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:54 am

A LOT has to do with the network that the files are being sent over. We can set up a project here in our office or at home and upload directly to a test iPad or the customers iDevice and not have one single issue...using Ubiquiti UAP-Pros and Mikrotik Routers. As soon as we get to our clients home, for an upgrade to the iDevice or installation, we do randomly experience upload failures and sometimes experience up to 10 retries before the file is transferred and this has been using the ISP supplied cheap wireless router. Never experienced this issue with a well setup network..."touching wood" now ;)
"Setting the Standard in Quality and Commitment"

cv27

Post by cv27 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:09 am

Getting “Error downloading all file, please check network conectivity & try again”, but with a new twist.

If I download a previous version of my project, it transfers successfully. I've alternated several times downloading the current and previous version: only the current version fails. So there may be something else than pure network issues when we encounter this message. I've submitted the problem to DemoPad.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:12 am

The app downloads the project files (the .dc7 compiled file and any images) by 'browsing' to the files which are served up by the PC software. In this case, one of the file names was not URL friendly, so the download of that file failed. The filename had a special character in it: é which caused the download to fail.

android

Post by android » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:21 pm

I had a similar problem on a couple of jobs and found that it was the access points

my laptop had to be on the same access point that the I device was sitting on.
I know this may sound strange but even having both on the table beside each other. The ipad or iphone was on a different access point to my laptop.

I put this down to Iphone already locking onto first access point it found (entrance) where as my laptop only locked on to strongest access point when I switched it on (the Kitchen) as the wifi areas overlapped the idevice still stayed on entrance access point.

Hope this helps someone avoid suicide/murder

A