Have a question regarding macros

Forum to ask for any help
anderdea

Have a question regarding macros

Post by anderdea » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:34 pm

I know that macros aren’t cumulative but for some reason my macros don’t seem to operate properly at times.
Q1: does the first item in the macro have to start at 0.0 seconds or should it start at say 0.5 seconds to kick it off?
Q2: can I mix IR and IP commands within a macro? Example below
Q3: is there a preferred time in full seconds or parts of seconds I should adhere to. Like 0.0, 1.0, 2.0, or is 0.0, 0.5, 1.0.

Not my actual commands but below is an example of one of my macros that doesn’t always function properly. Sometimes the Denon receiver won’t turn on. Others times My Dish Network receiver won’t go to channel 4. TV always powers up as it is first in the macro string.

All buttons are A “release button” command
0.0 power on Sony TV using IR
1.0 power on for Dish network receiver using IR
1.5 cable/sat source on Denon Receicer using IP
5.0 HDMI 1 monitor out Denon Receiver using IP (gives 3.5 seconds for Denon to totally turn on before selecting it’s a HDMI output)
5.5 Select HDMI 3 TV input Using IR
6.0 number 0 on Dish receiver using IR
6.5 number 4 on Dish receiver using IR
7.0 enter on Dish Receiver using IR
8.0 go to Dish Page

asimp11

Re: Have a question regarding macros

Post by asimp11 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:20 pm

Just at a brief glance, it all looks fine except different items of equipment can process commands at varying speeds. Some things can need a 10 second delay between startup and input/service. So try to use the macro efficiently during waiting. IP commands can be mixed but you need a good IP infrastructure. Wireless is never reliable. Also these commands do not buffer, so you need at least .2 seconds between sending, more for 2 way feedback. Sometimes you have to repeat the same command in your macro.

anderdea

Re: Have a question regarding macros

Post by anderdea » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Thanks for replying. I’ve been playing since the post and have got the macro commands working better. Is there an instance where a button press command should be used instead of a button release, send command. I’m assuming if so the commands will have to be properly executed time wise as they won’t show up in the same selection window for the sequence. I am using a GC IP2IR interface that has always worked flawlessly for me. It was purchased to replace a WiFi2IR that as you eluded to wasn’t reliable.