Two same brand A/V receivers question

Forum to ask for any help
anderdea

Two same brand A/V receivers question

Post by anderdea » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:08 pm

I just purchased a Denon AVRX4400H 4K compatible receiver. It hasn't shipped yet. I currently am using a Denon AVR3313ci receiver (IP) controlled that the new receiver will replace. I will be using them both in the same system with different connections.

Q1: I'm assuming that if I control them both via IP, with different IP addresses that I shouldn't have a problem with one command, say Power On, turning on both units. Is this correct thinking?

Q2: I know in the past that an issue on controlling one of them with IR, that the IR protocol could be changed within the receiver so it wouldn't effect both of them at the same time. I am considering controlling the 3313ci via IR as it will be the one used the most in my smaller speaker system to my TV. Also WAF potential issue. The new one will be used with the 4K projector. I've had issues with no action when a button is pushed due to connection issue with the Ethernet cable plugged into the 3313ci occasionally. Anyone know anything about changing the IR code.

All this is assuming that Denon didn't change their IP and IR protocol. The 3313ci is about 4-5 years old.

anderdea

Re: Two same brand A/V receivers question

Post by anderdea » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:25 pm

On Q2, I sent a request to Denon support on how to change the remote IR address on my Denon AVR-3313ci Receiver if possible. Hopefully they will respond.
On Q1. Am I on the right track here?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Q1 - commands sent to one IP address will not affect anything else no, you'd have 2 devices set up in the software, each with a different address.

Q2 - Infra-Red command crossover is only a problem where there is line of sight between the IR emitter and the device. If you use different IR outputs, and shield each, commands from one will not affect the other.

anderdea

Post by anderdea » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks,
Q1,kind of whatI suspected.

So on Q2, if I am able to change the Remote IR address on my 3313ci and send it through the same port (ir blaster port 3) on my GC IP2IR gateway I will still have a issue with interaction between the two receivers, correct? After I get everything working I may have to block the IR (if I chose to use IR) receiver port on the new receiver as I may still use IR on the old one for reliability. It’s nice to be able to check if there are IP connection issues by being able to use the IR remote, however.

As an FYI, I just downloaded the IP protocol commands from the Denon site for the new AVR-X4400H receiver. In the past Denon has used the pdf format for this info. It appears over the last couple of model years, they’ve twitched to an Excel format. (HEOS commands are still in pdf format) I was able to edit the file as it covers multiple current receivers an print out what I needed for the X4400H. Total of 27 pages.

anderdea

Post by anderdea » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:32 pm

As an FYI, from Denon Support. There isn’t any way to change the IR address of a remote control for their receivers. So if you have two a Denon receivers in a system using a different fixed IP for each or blocking the IR receiver on one of the receivers looks like the only alternative.