Feedback via IR or RS232

Forum to ask for any help
rhett7660

Feedback via IR or RS232

Post by rhett7660 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 am

Hello,

Is it possible to get feedback via IR or is this something that is regulated via a RS232 connection? I am looking to add something for the volume/guage so I can see what the actual volume is currently on etc. Is this possible?

I am using a VSX-03THX receiver that doesn't have an IP port. :cry:

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: Feedback via IR or RS232

Post by DemoPad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Typically, there are no discrete volume commands for Infra-Red, so it is not possible to know what the volume level is. RS232 or IP control should provide volume feedback though, yes - for example for Pioneer, sending the RS232 command: ?V\x0D should result in a response eg VOL10\x0D\x0A which you can put in the 2-way feedback section, which you'd use a regular expression for to extract the number part: VOL[0-9]*

cv27

Post by cv27 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 pm

rhett7660 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 am
Hello,

Is it possible to get feedback via IR or is this something that is regulated via a RS232 connection? I am looking to add something for the volume/guage so I can see what the actual volume is currently on etc. Is this possible?

As far as I know, Global Caché's IR returns feedback based only on processing the IR command. So that implies returning:
  • error codes in the form of ERR_xx
  • state, ... [in response of a getstate command sent]
  • stopir, ...[in response to a stopir command sent]
  • IR, ... [in response to a get_IR command sent]
  • version, .... [in response to a getversion command sent]
  • NET, ... [in response to a get_NET command sent]
  • device, ... [in response to a device command sent]
  • unknowncommand, error code [in response to an invalid command sent]
  • busyIR, ... [when a connector is already sending an IR transmission while already processing one]
  • LED_LIGHTING, ... [in response to a set_LED_LIGHTING command sent]
  • completeir, ... [in response to a sendir command sent]
  • IR Learner Enabled
  • IR Learner Disabled [in response to a stop_IRL command sent]
A you can see, feedback is on the exchange of IR between DemoPad and your GC, nothing to do with the end device's reaction to the IR.

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:45 pm

cv27 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 pm
rhett7660 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 am
Hello,

As far as I know, Global Caché's IR returns feedback based only on processing the IR command. So that implies returning:
  • error codes in the form of ERR_xx
  • state, ... [in response of a getstate command sent]
  • stopir, ...[in response to a stopir command sent]
  • IR, ... [in response to a get_IR command sent]
  • version, .... [in response to a getversion command sent]
  • NET, ... [in response to a get_NET command sent]
  • device, ... [in response to a device command sent]
  • unknowncommand, error code [in response to an invalid command sent]
  • busyIR, ... [when a connector is already sending an IR transmission while already processing one]
  • LED_LIGHTING, ... [in response to a set_LED_LIGHTING command sent]
  • completeir, ... [in response to a sendir command sent]
  • IR Learner Enabled
  • IR Learner Disabled [in response to a stop_IRL command sent]
A you can see, feedback is on the exchange of IR between DemoPad and your GC, nothing to do with the end device's reaction to the IR.
Please forgive as I am very new to this part of the home automation. So I would need to send a "getstate" command, which would then send back what the current state of that particular command is, not so much what the state of the device is in. Correct?

cv27

Post by cv27 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 pm

rhett7660 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:45 pm
Please forgive as I am very new to this part of the home automation. So I would need to send a "getstate" command, which would then send back what the current state of that particular command is, not so much what the state of the device is in. Correct?
Just a note: those Global Caché commands and feedbacks I described come from the iTach documentation I have, but I suspect they are the same for the other GC's.

And yes, the feedback is on the exchange of IR signals between the GC and the end device. How the end device processed the command is not visible to the GC. Think of it as this:
  • Transportation layer (lower): GC sends to an IR receiver, they exchange based on the IR protocol and have no clue on the payload itself
  • Logical layer (upper): the IR receiver strips the IR protocol and hands over to the end device a logical command (payload), for example 'power on'

BibbieMok

Post by BibbieMok » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:16 pm

Hi...I use IP whenever possible, simply because it's easier to test and troubleshoot over a network rather than digging out a USB to RS-232 adapter. Utilities like Hercules.exe are great for testing communication protocols over raw TCP or UDP ports, as well as legacy serial RS-232 connections. Toolbox is just painful to use for sending test strings to a serial device or IP device alike. It is nice though to use RS-232 for Video TeleConferencing units as these usually need to use the network port for something other than control, meaning it's probably on a different subnet at least and unable to talk with the processor without whoever manages the network coming over and opening up a few ports.

prototype pcb assembly
Last edited by BibbieMok on Wed May 06, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhett7660

Post by rhett7660 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:57 pm

I agree using IP, however my current receiver does not have any network capabilities via IP... so I am kinda stuck if I want to get feed back via RS232.