Connect to local network when away from home

Forum to ask for any help
starwarsmike

Connect to local network when away from home

Post by starwarsmike » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi fellow forum followers

Looking for some help....

I use to be able to connect to my home network via VPN on my iPad to check feedback on my project, however I now have Sky Q router, which doesn't have a VPN server built in.

My question is? is there are a way round using a VPN? what i want is being able to open my project when I'm away from home and my project get's my local network feedback.

I have a DDNS setup on my sky router forwarding ports to my Centro-8c, but not sure where to go from here?

I know I could setup a 2nd router with VPN, but seems quite a lot of hours work and a purchase of 2nd router

Comments appreciated

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: Connect to local network when away from home

Post by DemoPad » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:59 pm

You can use port forwarding, and the 'remote' ip information in the device settings, along with the 'remote access' flag in the settings app to enable it. We do not recommend port forwarding though, for security reasons - but it does work. TCP port 5000 is needed for the app to communicate with a Centro-8 8M, and port 7500 for a Centro-C / CM.

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Demopad

Appreciate your support, but can you advise little further? with no success this is what i have done..

In demopad software I have selected a device i want to control, in the remote settings I have put...

Remote IP address = my DDNS IP admin:password@username.ddns.net
Remote port 5000
Username = My DDNS username
Password = My DDNS password

I have port forwarded TCP 5000 to my Centro 8m IP address, both incoming & outgoing

On my iPhone under device settings I have put IP & port address of my device i want to control

Am I doing something wrong?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Your ddns username / password is not required anywhere within DemoPad. If the port is open, you should be able to just put in your current external IP address, or host name in the remote location settings, then in the app when you use 'remote access' setting, it should use that information to connect.

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Perfect Cheers

Now i see why it's not secure, although the device I'm connecting from has a fixed IP, so I have configured both ports, incoming and outgoing with my static IP.

Presume this makes it safe? or safer?

I don't have a VPN you see on my router as present, so port forwarding is my only way at present.