Ticker sign

Forum to ask for any help
rrehart

Ticker sign

Post by rrehart » Sun May 24, 2015 8:46 pm

I am trying to add a 'rolling ticker' sign to my project, much like you'd see in a sports bar, with words rolling across from right to left. In doing so, I did the following:
1. I defined flags for each letter and position in the ticker (i.e., "A Position 0, A Position 1, etc...).
2. Then, I assigned each letter on the page/position on the ticker to the respective flag (left to right: 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0)
3. Then I defined a page load action (tied to a button) that sets each respective flag on or off after a one second delay between each. So;
a. A Position 1 ON
b. A Position 1 OFF
c. A Position 2 ON
d. A Position 2 OFF
e. A Position 3 ON
f. A Position 3 OFF
g. A Position 4 ON
h. A Position 4 OFF
etc.... for the 10 positions

But when I load the page, all of the positions are just ON. They don't sequentially turn ON the OFF. What am I doing wrong? And is there a simpler, less flag intensive way to do this? Otherwise, I'd have to define 360 flags and have a LOOONNNGG command set for each ticker.

I know the flag works, because I setup a simple button on the page to test it, and set it to TOGGLE. When I press it, the correct letter & position goes on, off, etc...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: Ticker sign

Post by DemoPad » Tue May 26, 2015 11:55 am

When you say a 1 second delay between each, have you used a delay of 1 second on each action? Delay values are not cumulative, so for a 1 second delay between each, the actions should have delays:

etc

The delay is the time after the button is released / page loads, not after the previous action.

A better way might be to use a label, and set it's value to produce the desired effect?

rrehart

Post by rrehart » Tue May 26, 2015 3:06 pm

OH! Didn't know they weren't sequential. I'll give that a shot. As far as the label idea, could you elaborate (give an example)?

Thanks.

rrehart

Post by rrehart » Wed May 27, 2015 5:52 am

I tried your method and it worked. However, that meant that I had to define 20 ( :o ) flags (10 ea ON/OFF) to get a single letter to move 10 spaces. That would mean that I would have to define 52 flags to move "WELCOME TO MY HOME THEATER" across the screen [10 spaces] once. There MUST be an easier way. Additionally, I'd like the scroll to repeat after a short delay.

Any suggestions would be VERY much appreciated.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Wed May 27, 2015 9:49 am

If you had a text object set to:

WELCOME TO YOUR HOME CINEMA

Then you could just use the Reveal menu to make it appear from the right, quite slowly. A flag would make it scroll in from the right, then set the flag to OFF & back ON again to restart.

The only issue would be that the text object would stop when it reached the far left (where you place the object) instead of sliding off the screen completely.

If you had a label variable associated with the text object (and aligned it to the right), you could set the label to, for example:

W
then
WE

etc etc - but still quite a bit of work there to get the desired effect.

Or, you could use a web view pointing at a web page somewhere which showed the ticker.

Idealhomes

Post by Idealhomes » Wed May 27, 2015 9:21 pm

DemoPad wrote:If you had a text object set to:

WELCOME TO YOUR HOME CINEMA

Then you could just use the Reveal menu to make it appear from the right, quite slowly. A flag would make it scroll in from the right, then set the flag to OFF & back ON again to restart.

The only issue would be that the text object would stop when it reached the far left (where you place the object) instead of sliding off the screen completely.
If you timed it right from the initial action, you could set the 'ON' flag to 'OFF' and tick the 'Reverse Transition to Hide' box in the 'Reveal Options' and this will have the Ticker go across the screen.
"Setting the Standard in Quality and Commitment"

rrehart

Post by rrehart » Thu May 28, 2015 4:20 am

I took your advice and built a webpage, serving it up from the local server. Works like a charm... :D :D

One more question: When the marquee scrolls, the Web Object in Demopad does not seem to want to let it complete (appears to be refreshing the page after 10 seconds), as it does in Safari on the same iPad.

Is there a way to "disable" or prolong the re-load time in the web view?

In the example code below, it takes about 17 seconds to run through the marquee once, but that would change as the text is changed.

Thanks!

"<html>
<style>
p {color:#00FF00;
font-size: 96px;
line-height: 0%;
font-family:Comic Sans MS;
font-weight:900;
}
</style>
<body>
<marquee scrollamount=12 bgcolor=black direction=left width=750 height=190>
<p>WELCOME TO HOME CINEMAS</p>
</marquee>
</body>
</html>"

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Thu May 28, 2015 8:45 pm

There is no reload time on a web view, it must be the web page itself doing that. The only time the web view reloads is if the page is jumped to again (and you have 'reload on page launch' ticked, or if the web view is linked to a label variable & it changes.