Interfacing with Demopad externally & Other questions

Forum to ask for any help
d_hero

Interfacing with Demopad externally & Other questions

Post by d_hero » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:21 am

I really want to stay with Demopad but I seem to keep running into roadblocks and the lack of modules is not helping. Is there a plan for the other device that was discussed last year, the Centro-M where the software can run on the device itself? And is there any plans for modules such as a Sonos module? That would be extremely useful to me.

My main question is is there anyway to interface with Demopad externally? What i mean is that I would like to push a button on my wall mood switch, which runs a "scene" on my Vera box, and that scene sends a command to my demopad installation that tells it to run a set of commands. In effect, I have a button on my demopad set up that turns everything off, AV and lights, with one button press. I would like to mimic the function of that button on a wall controller. I therefore need to do exactly what that soft button does, make demopad flip back to the home page, set flags etc. Is that at all possible?

asimp11

Re: Interfacing with Demopad externally & Other questions

Post by asimp11 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:38 am

Interfacing externally.
If you buy the Centro C which is good value for money on larger projects (or multi zone) you can then use it's 8 digital inputs to run Macros in Demopad. You can use any push to make wall switch (cheap to buy) or run the switching out of your digital lighting system's volt free contacts. Add a cheap time clock to switch off all your equipment at night! Or to call a lighting scene via Demopad. Good luck

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:13 pm

d_hero wrote: My main question is is there anyway to interface with Demopad externally? What i mean is that I would like to push a button on my wall mood switch, which runs a "scene" on my Vera box, and that scene sends a command to my demopad installation that tells it to run a set of commands. In effect, I have a button on my demopad set up that turns everything off, AV and lights, with one button press. I would like to mimic the function of that button on a wall controller. I therefore need to do exactly what that soft button does, make demopad flip back to the home page, set flags etc. Is that at all possible?
The Centro-8 does exactly this - it can listen to external events (IP based, or RS232 / digital input based) and perform operations automatically.

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:18 am

What type of IP commands does the Centro-8 listen too ??

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:56 am

trevorst wrote:What type of IP commands does the Centro-8 listen too ??
It works just like the app - connecting to TCP or UDP servers & listening to the raw data - passing it through the same feedback rules that the app has. If you want to send an IP command directly to it from another system, you should look at the Centro-C - this acts as a TCP server & accepts incoming commands from anywhere to operate the IR / RS232 ports.

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:31 pm

DemoPad wrote:
d_hero wrote: My main question is is there anyway to interface with Demopad externally? What i mean is that I would like to push a button on my wall mood switch, which runs a "scene" on my Vera box, and that scene sends a command to my demopad installation that tells it to run a set of commands. In effect, I have a button on my demopad set up that turns everything off, AV and lights, with one button press. I would like to mimic the function of that button on a wall controller. I therefore need to do exactly what that soft button does, make demopad flip back to the home page, set flags etc. Is that at all possible?
The Centro-8 does exactly this - it can listen to external events (IP based, or RS232 / digital input based) and perform operations automatically.
How does the Centro-8 communicate with the Demopad instance on an iPad for example, how can it make it change pages etc? Or is it the fact that the UI runs ON the centro-8 instead of on the iPad?

Either way, while Demopad has a lot of great features that make it a good DIY option for people like me, the Centro-8 is out of reach price wise for a home user like myself, even though its quite a complex set up that I'm building, its still way too much for me. I wish there was a "home" version of it!

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Basically what I want is exactly what you described in this first post:

http://www.demopad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5538