UPnP

Forum to ask for any help
starwarsmike

UPnP

Post by starwarsmike » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:39 pm

Demopad

Does Demopad support UPnP?

Eg I have a device which acts as a UPnP Media Renderer and Control Point, (a music Streamer) I can connect a NAS or USB to the Music Streamer, If I created my own media player in Demopad, is there a way I can send a play command to a song say on the USB attached to my streamer?

Or can you suggest another way to create my own media player in Demopad, to control/play music content on a NAS / PC / USB

Thanks

trevorst

Re: UPnP

Post by trevorst » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Mike what device do you have that is your control point/Renderer.

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Cyrus Stream X2 (music Server) Cyrus emailed me this:

Our system acts as a Media Renderer and Control Point. It is able to discover Media Servers on the network, interrogate them for their services, list the services and interact with them (Play, pause, etc.) We use all the protocols UPnP involves in the different steps.

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:45 am

Mike it looks like the Cyrus has developed their own remote control system and I couldn't find any info on Network control of their equipment being available.
I suggest you contact them to see if they have an API that would allow network control, if they do then you could build an interface in Demopad .
I noticed they have an RS232 connection that is labeled for future use so they do not have a serial interface for it yet.
I don't think Demopad would be UPnP aware as it is neither a data provider or player, it does not supply data to anything other than by third party add-ins like the iTunes player

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:46 am

DemoPad is not UPnP aware, however it is capable of sending and receiving UPnP messages, as they just use standard TCP connections. The Sonos commands, found in our device database forum are an example of this.

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi Trevor, thanks for trying to help.

The protocol for Cyrus is UPnP, It's my lack of understanding of UPnP that's the issue.....

Demopad

Thanks for advise, but my lack of knowledge on this doesn't really help!!

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:43 pm

Sorry I can't help Mike... I would still contact Cyrus and see if they can provide any help.
Have never been a fan of UPnP, user interfaces always seems to be clunky to me. Sonus seems to have done a good job, but at a very high price.
I added my music into the Demopad project a few weeks ago, I ended up using the iTunes route. Already run a PC server for Security Cameras, Calibre document server, Argus TV DVR and Plex video server, so it was no big deal to have iTunes run also.

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks Again

I have contacted Cyrus and asked them for example POST commands on how to play a song. Failing that i will just use Wireshark to capture the commands being sent from Cyrus IOS App, and see how it goes from there.

Cheers again, appreciated