Thermostats -- strugglin' to find the right one

Forum to ask for any help
bluehorseshoemm

Thermostats -- strugglin' to find the right one

Post by bluehorseshoemm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Figured i would ask the boards what thermostats people here use.

Orginally i was turned on to Heatmiser by the helpful folks at Demopad, but after speaking with a rep from Heatmiser, it was determined that since im on a 24 V AC, I did not have the proper electrical connections and voltages to run the Wifi heatmiser unit which i really wanted as it looks slick. So moving on...

I have been looking into other options including the following:

Honeywell WIFI series (confirmed it was a closed system, and does not appear to accept IP commands, though they look slick too)

3M has a product the 3m-50 that looks promising, and then there are some options from INSTEON and VENSTAR, among a few others, but none that i have seen specifically mention IP control.

Basically, I am at a loss, I am looking to spend more time on my system, but really want to get the right thermostat for my application.

Any ideas, suggestions, would be appreciated. I think the fact I am in the US may make this harder for some reason.

Fulltopuk

Re: Thermostats -- strugglin' to find the right one

Post by Fulltopuk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:10 am

I would go with Heatmiser and find a way around the voltage problem with relays etc. Not knowing your system, that's all I can say, but a good electrical engineer should be able to help you with that part.

cv27

Post by cv27 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm

bluehorseshoemm wrote:... and then there are some options from INSTEON and VENSTAR, among a few others, but none that i have seen specifically mention IP control ...
You can have IP control with the Insteon thermostat, sort of, if you get the Insteon hub from SmartHome (2242-222). Insteon by nature sends control commands to devices via power line and/or RF. But communication with the Insteon controller hub is via IP.

Although I don't have an Insteon thermostat, I do manage my Insteon devices from DemoPad. Works well for me.

simon_rb

Post by simon_rb » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:10 am

Hi,

So can demopad directly communicate with the heatmiser wifi thermostats? Or do they access the web interface? Curious as getting a new boiler installed and thinking of changing my thermostat at the same time.

Cheers