Order of Graphics

Forum to ask for any help
trevorst

Order of Graphics

Post by trevorst » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:16 pm

I want to have two buttons overlaid, one that wii only be visible when the first is pressed i.e. an indented button setup.
Is there anyway to control the order of which one will be on top ??

Idealhomes

Re: Order of Graphics

Post by Idealhomes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:40 am

trevorst wrote:I want to have two buttons overlaid, one that wii only be visible when the first is pressed i.e. an indented button setup.
Is there anyway to control the order of which one will be on top ??
Set up each button and use flags to control how they change between the two.

Example:

Button 1 has a flag of "button 1", when button 1 is pushed turn off button 1 and turn on button 2.

Button 2 has a flag of "button 2", when button 2 is pushed, turn off button 2 and turn on button 1.

You have to also set a flag when the page loads so you have one button on, ie: set flag for buttons off and button 1 on....this will only let button 1 be seen until you "click that button.

I hope that makes sense :)
"Setting the Standard in Quality and Commitment"

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:16 am

Yes it makes sense, just seems like a long winded way around the issue.
You need to control twice as many flags than is required....
It would be a lot easier to keep everything organized if you could either control the order of graphics/buttons in the vertical plane or be able to use a flag in the off condition to show a graphic/button.
Just my opinion...l

Idealhomes

Post by Idealhomes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:30 am

Sorry, I think I may have put you wrong, after re-reading the first post it sounds like you are wanting to "highlight" that button when it is pressed, is that the case? If it is, there is a great tutorial in the Video Tutorials on how to simulate button feedback.

Idealhomes

Post by Idealhomes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:45 am

trevorst wrote:Yes it makes sense, just seems like a long winded way around the issue.
You only need two flags, basically an "On state" and "Off state" and if you choose to have the 2nd button on only when button 1 is pressed, just set the flag so when button 1 is pressed, the flag for button 2 shows (is ON).......and when button 1 is released the flag button 2 is Off. This will give you the two buttons and when the first image is pressed it will show the second image and when the button is released it will go back to the first image. Once you do it, it is really easy and can be done in seconds.

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Idealhomes wrote:
trevorst wrote:Yes it makes sense, just seems like a long winded way around the issue.
You only need two flags, basically an "On state" and "Off state" and if you choose to have the 2nd button on only when button 1 is pressed, just set the flag so when button 1 is pressed, the flag for button 2 shows (is ON).......and when button 1 is released the flag button 2 is Off. This will give you the two buttons and when the first image is pressed it will show the second image and when the button is released it will go back to the first image. Once you do it, it is really easy and can be done in seconds.
Thanks for the quick replies, I appretiate it.
I have it working that way now for my mockup and if that is the only way to make it work, that is the way I will do it.

Still feel that it is twice as many flags than it should be and reducing the number of flags to manage is important in a large project.
Also a method of ordering graphics in the vertical would be nice a option to have.
Thanks again

Idealhomes

Post by Idealhomes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:40 pm

trevorst wrote:Still feel that it is twice as many flags than it should be and reducing the number of flags to manage is important in a large project.
Having the flags is a great way to customize and give you Exactly what you want, so if you need a large number of flags to get a desired effect, it has to be done. About a month ago I set up a clients heat pump and ended up using about 130 flags just for changing temperatures and fan speed because each ir command sent by the remote had x3 individual commands for the unit, fan-temp-mode.

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 pm

Idealhomes wrote:
trevorst wrote:Still feel that it is twice as many flags than it should be and reducing the number of flags to manage is important in a large project.
Having the flags is a great way to customize and give you Exactly what you want, so if you need a large number of flags to get a desired effect, it has to be done. About a month ago I set up a clients heat pump and ended up using about 130 flags just for changing temperatures and fan speed because each ir command sent by the remote had x3 individual commands for the unit, fan-temp-mode.
I agree but if I can find a way to reduce them and still have the functionality I want, I wll.

BTW
Have found a solution to the button order. If I add both indented and normal to the page, copy and paste the indedented button, then delete the original, the copy will always be on top. Then I can control the visibility of the indented button with one flag. This also eliminates the need to set the flag status before a button is pushed.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:17 pm

When the app loads, objects (of the same type) are drawn in the order that they were added to the page originally in designer. Copying / pasting then deleting the original etc is just a side effect. If you added 2 buttons to the designer on top of each other, the one you added last would be on top. This type of hiding/showing a button on top of another only really works when a) the buttons are the same size, and b) the button on top is not semi-transparent - otherwise you might still see the button underneath.

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:22 pm

DemoPad wrote:When the app loads, objects (of the same type) are drawn in the order that they were added to the page originally in designer. Copying / pasting then deleting the original etc is just a side effect. If you added 2 buttons to the designer on top of each other, the one you added last would be on top. This type of hiding/showing a button on top of another only really works when a) the buttons are the same size, and b) the button on top is not semi-transparent - otherwise you might still see the button underneath.
Thanks...
I had already came to that conclusion, but it is great to have it verified.
Yes I understand the need for buttons to be the same size and transparency issues. I have designed the buttons with all taken into consideration. So far I am very pleased with the results, will post pictures when I am a little further along.