Getting IP commands to work for Pioneer Screen and Denon Amp

Forum to ask for any help
jamesaevans

Getting IP commands to work for Pioneer Screen and Denon Amp

Post by jamesaevans » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:24 pm

I purchased DemoPad earlier today but am having a few problems getting the IP control to work for my screen (Pioneer KRP-500M) and amp (Denon 3808). Both devices have web pages which I have confirmed can be used to control them, and I have also downloaded documentation for both devices which include the IP commands.

I've not been able to find a step by step guide to getting IP control to work so I am hoping that if I post the configuration that I am using that my beginners mistake will be easily spotted by a more experienced DemoPad user.

Pioneer Screen
IP Address: 192.168.0.55
Port: 4202
Type: Generic IP Device
UDP: Checked
Command Suffix: \x0D\x0A
Sample command: INPS05<CR>

Note: Power Saving mode has been disabled on the amp
DemoPad_Pioneer_Screen_001.jpg
DemoPad_Pioneer_Screen_002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jamesaevans

Re: Getting IP commands to work for Pioneer Screen and Denon

Post by jamesaevans » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Denon Amp
IP Address: 192.168.0.11
Port: 23
UDP: Checked
Command Suffix: \x0D
Sample command: SIDVD
DemoPad_Denon_Amp_001.jpg
DemoPad_Denon_Amp_002.jpg
All advice and suggestions will be very much appreciated.

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Ok - a few things to try. First of all, uncheck UDP unless you are sure the devices are set up to communicate over UDP, and not standard TCP. The Denon in particular uses telnet on port 23, which is not a UDP connection.

Secondly, your sample command has <CR> at the end. This typically means 'carriage return' which is a single character, hex representation 0D. (As opposed to the 4 characters, < C R and > which is what DemoPad would transmit. The default command suffix for the device is \x0D\x0A (carriage return, line feed), so you probably want to change that to just \x0D, and enter the command without the <CR>

I'd also recommend you use a TCP Client connection tool such as Hercules to test commands, before trying in DemoPad - this ensures that you have all the connection information, and the commands themselves correct.

jamesaevans

Post by jamesaevans » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Thank you for the advice, but I think that I may have confused things by trying to get two devices to work at the same time (running before I can walk), rather than starting with a single device.

So sticking to the Denon amp I understand that I should have:
P Address: 192.168.0.22 (Set manually and DHCP turned off for the amp)
Port: 23
UDP: UnChecked
Command Suffix: \x0D
Sample command: SIDVD

As you advised I have downloaded Hercules so that I can test the commands outside of DemoPad. So using the TCP tab I have connected to my amp but when I send the command nothing happens.
Hercules_001.jpg
Any further thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

James

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Hercules uses $ format instead of \x to represent hex bytes, so use $0D at the end, instead of \x0D which DemoPad software uses.