Lighting and Electrical Options

Forum to ask for any help
d_hero

Lighting and Electrical Options

Post by d_hero » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi all

While in the process of designing my remote, I thought it would be nice to integrate lighting control to a small extent. I live in a small flat but will soon be moving so will primarily be using any system that I integrate now for testing purposes for the future where it will be expanded. My requirements are as follow:

I want the system to be fully controllable from the wall switches. What i mean is that I don't want to lose the element of usability from my house/flat. I want anyone who comes in to be able to turn the lights on and off as they are used to.

I want it to be fully controllable from Demopad and I would like 2 way feedback, so any changes at the switches are reflected on the demopad screen (on/off states, dim states etc) and I dont want to hack it with flags, I want to obtain proper feedback.

I want the light switches to be directly replaced by whatever units i choose to buy and to be controlled by WiFi (or a third party propriety protocol with some sort of central controller)

I like the idea of a central controller that I can interface with that then sends out commands to the end points.

I dont only want to use this system for lighting, eventually I want to expand to heating control and curtains etc.

From what ive been reading, LightwaveRF seems great and their device range is expanding but they dont support 2 way feedback which is a must for me.

Z-Wave looks interesting, it has a central control box and replaceable light switches and also en controls for things like blinds and curtains. It is within what im willing to spend on it so thats good. Does anyone have experience with this and getting feedback in demopad (im thinking sliders etc for dimming) or does anyone know how easy it would be to accomplish this.

Alternatively are there any other solutions out there that I dont know about? Im in the UK if that makes a difference to what is available.

Thanks for your help

wwat

Re: Lighting and Electrical Options

Post by wwat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:29 pm

If you haven't already made a purchase I'd checkout the ISY 994i from Universal devices and Insteon products from Smarthomes. The ISY 994i would be your central controller with Insteon devices like light switches etc. Venstar make a very good thermostat which can be fully controlled by ISY.
What I like about that set up (which I have had installed for about 5 years) is that you then only have to be concerned about a single connection with ISY to control all your devices. ISY support and pricing is very good. One thing it lacks is a nice user interface for iPads and iPhones and that is where Demopad seems to nicely fit.

Not sure how easily you can purchase from the UK best to contact their support, that could be an issue for you with this product.

Regards,
Wayne

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Insteon is not yet available in uk configurations and plans have been around for ages to launch here but it looks like its only recently that they've become serious talks. Does insteon allow direct replacement of switches etc that are wirelessly controlled or do they all have to be wired back to a central point or something? Also do they have modules for blinds and curtains etc for example?

wwat

Post by wwat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 pm

I can't comment too much about the electrical side of it because I have no idea how you are wired up over there in the UK. Here in Canada if there is a neutral in the box (generally the case) then its just a matter of replacing a standard switch with the Insteon. Its quite easy, I did all mine and had no problems installing them.