Page Load Repeating Action

Forum to ask for any help
d_hero

Page Load Repeating Action

Post by d_hero » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 pm

If I have a repeating action running on page load that repeats every 0.5 seconds, querying the output of something, will that significantly drain the battery compared to not having it?

d_hero

Re: Page Load Repeating Action

Post by d_hero » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:09 am

To answer my own question, it does seem that when I remove the page load action the battery life is much better. If only IP devices could push messages to Demopad rather than demopad having to query for something.

I want to display the output of my AV receiver on the demopad screen, so showing the input and volume and surround mode etc. I want this to update in almost realtime because my AVR will be hidden away. Currently to do this I send the Onkyo query commands every 0.5 or 1 second with regex used to extract the required info. I take it there is no other way to do this so that I dont have to have a constantly running query?

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:46 pm

The Onkyo and most other receivers send out a message when anything changes, so why do you need to Query??
If you have feedbacks set on Demopad they will receive the messages and update.

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Oh ok, I didnt realise that. How does demopad know to receive that message though? Is it a broadcast message that the receiver sends out?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 pm

If you tick the box 'maintain active connection' in the 2-way settings, then the app establishes a connection & permanently listens for data, while the app is running.

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 pm

yeah i feel stupid now, i spent ages trying to get the queries working and i didnt need to at all! works perfectly without and saves battery, but you all knew that! :oops: