Low cost Processor for DIY/Home users

General Discussion on DemoPad or related products
DemoPad
Site Admin

Low cost Processor for DIY/Home users

Post by DemoPad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Most users of DemoPad will be aware of our Centro-8 processor, which is for professional AV installers & enables control of many devices & allows for timed schedules, central storage of flags / labels / numbers, a web interface for control, HDMI output for custom content etc.

We are often asked for a lower cost unit which performs many of the same core tasks, for DIY / home users of DemoPad, and we are considering the following product for the DIY market :

A low cost (around USD $175 / GBP £125) linux based dual/quad core processor, running a version of our Centro-8 core automation software.

The unit would have no Input / Output ports, but would be capable of :

1. Centrally storing flag/label/number variables & keeping all client apps synchronized
2. Independently connecting to and controlling IP devices
3. 24/7 operation, with scheduled timed events (including astronomical clock functionality)
4. Conditional event / variable based macro triggers
5. Web based GUI to control the system with a web browser
6. Ability to use DemoPad Android or iOS app to control it

If there is sufficient interest, this may form the basis of a crowd-funding project, and if the target amount is met, we will put the unit into production.

This is the form factor we are thinking of (around 10cm in length)
centro-m-concept-1.png
It would take a USB connection for power, have a HDMI connection for custom content (photo frame functionality for example), a micro SD slot, USB for future accessories & 802.11b/g/n Wifi

If anyone has any comments, we would welcome them, either on this forum or directly to support@demopad.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nnuudd

Re: Low cost Processor for DIY/Home users

Post by Nnuudd » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:37 pm

I think this is a great idea. I would buy one of these straight away when available.
Only thing, it would be great if it could be wired as well as wireless

cv27

Post by cv27 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:47 pm

Nnuudd wrote:I think this is a great idea. I would buy one of these straight away when available.
Only thing, it would be great if it could be wired as well as wireless
I echo this poster's comment. I don't care if wireless is taking over the world: it is proned to interference, limited throughput as you insert walls between it and you. I use wireless extensively, obviously given I use Demopad, but for client devices only. I would consider the proposed low cost Centro a server and that means wired. I realize the Centro woudl need wireless to interact with an iDevice or Android device, but it also needs a wired connection to interface with downstream devices (AV, etc.).

Why not throw in an adapter to power the unit from 110V/220V?

As far as acquisition cost goes, 175$ US, for me, is out of range. I use other controllers for less han 100$ (ex: Insteon hub).

On functionality, would it handle 2-way communication with devices and keep tabs for DemoPad iDevices?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:21 pm

cv27 wrote:
On functionality, would it handle 2-way communication with devices and keep tabs for DemoPad iDevices?
Yes it would, as the centro8 does, and when a demopad client connected it would be updated with the current status of everything

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:41 pm

shut up and take my money! :D

But seriously I would buy one instantly. The lack of outputs is not ideal but I could get round that. If you could include IR ports, i would be even more happy!

One thing I would like is the ability to not just store variables and flags centrally, but also trigger an action/screen change on another device. A case in point is something I'm trying to put together now. I would love to continue using my ipad for day to day control in my lounge, but would love to using some in wall android tabs. My idea is that when i select, for example, music, that the in wall tablets change to a screen that could control the music. Very simple idea of course but could be great. Maybe this can be done already the otherway round, by monitoring the status of a flag or something but either way it would be good.

Please do this!

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Another point...you mention the android app, is that something available now?

You also mention this would be a linux box running a version of your software, does that mean you could make your linux software available for self install? Long shot i know, but worth an ask

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 pm

d_hero wrote:Another point...you mention the android app, is that something available now?

It would be made available to anyone using the Centro-m yes, initially we would only officially support certain Android devices.
d_hero wrote:You also mention this would be a linux box running a version of your software, does that mean you could make your linux software available for self install? Long shot i know, but worth an ask
I'm afraid not, no.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 pm

d_hero wrote:One thing I would like is the ability to not just store variables and flags centrally, but also trigger an action/screen change on another device. A case in point is something I'm trying to put together now. I would love to continue using my ipad for day to day control in my lounge, but would love to using some in wall android tabs. My idea is that when i select, for example, music, that the in wall tablets change to a screen that could control the music. Very simple idea of course but could be great. Maybe this can be done already the otherway round, by monitoring the status of a flag or something but either way it would be good.
Please do this!
You can do this with a Centro-8 already yes, so you would also be able to do it with the proposed Centro-m. You can trigger page flips, brightness control, auto lock enable/disable from the Centro, and all connected iPads would execute. But you are also correct, you could have done this by monitoring flags also, but that would be more complicated - the functionality is built in to a Centro.

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Ok great, well i've just moved house and am in the process of cabling for network and AV etc, so the sooner the better, i genuinely would buy this tomorrow

starwarsmike

Post by starwarsmike » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:11 pm

Count me in!

Anyone else, please post here showing your interest! Otherwise DemoPad might drop it, with the lack of interest

cv27

Post by cv27 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 pm

With all these questions, forgot to mention I'M INTERESTED!

P.S. Subject to final pricing

Idealhomes

Post by Idealhomes » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:46 am

Without a doubt this would be an awesome add-on to the DemoPad hardware, not just for the DIY, but also for the Pro's where the Centro is too much machine for a single room installation. Funds are sitting waiting for the go ahead ;) :mrgreen:
"Setting the Standard in Quality and Commitment"

englishaudio

Post by englishaudio » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Definitely a great idea, count me in too

JUGO

Post by JUGO » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Sounds like the ideal solution - though like some people have mentioned, a RJ45 would be more desirable and the unit could be powered by PoE. This would be more accepted in the Pro AV segment. Ideal for a single conference room solution. :D

vinnie

Post by vinnie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 am

Perfect!..This will make Demopad a more complete solution for small rooms where the Centro 8 would be too much. I'm keen to get one.
:mrgreen: