Demopad control of Lutron HWQS

General Discussion on DemoPad or related products
xsiv_one

Demopad control of Lutron HWQS

Post by xsiv_one » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi,

Have any of you successfully integrated control of Lutron Homeworks QS over IP using the processors native IP port rather than using the RS232/Ethernet module. I've got full control via the Lutron Home Control App on iPhone, but if I create a new device for Lutron and then a command (as per the Lutron protocol document), the command does nothing. Frustrated!!

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: Demopad control of Lutron HWQS

Post by DemoPad » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:58 pm

Please see http://www.demopad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4109 for a working example project. The Lutron device type is for Homeworks processors, not Homeworks QS, so you need to use a 'Generic Device'.

Russ_270

Post by Russ_270 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:55 pm

I would be very interested to hear how you get on. I am having the same problem and posted my question in the help forum. Despite all my efforts I have for the moment given up on the problem despite much help from Demopad and Armour Home who even came on site to see if I was doing anything stupid.

I used Lutrons integration document along with the correct device and button numbers from the QS config.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocument ... 040249.pdf

But although my work has been checked by several others I have never got it to work despite, like you, having no problem controlling it over ip using the app.

gimbers

Post by gimbers » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Guys,

I have this working on port 23, with a little help from Paul H. I don't know if this is relevant to you but I had to fiddle with the "Initial Command" and finally got "Default\x0D\x0Adefault" to work. I have complete IP control of four keypads...

Hope this helps,
gimbers

Russ_270

Post by Russ_270 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:10 pm

It was Mr H who helped me out and Steve A that came and looked over what I was doing, but despite spending a couple of days messing with all sorts of things it never worked. There is an option in the Lutron programing software to look at feed back from the processor and I just got no response to any command.

This is what I came up with:-

#DEVICE,72,6,3

# =its an action.
DEVICE = I wish to control a device.
72 = the device ID (setup in Lutron programing software).
6 = the component number (button 6)
3 = the action number (press)

Ip address is correct, port number 23, carriage return line feed in place and I have tried with and without password username as setup in Telnet logins

But I know that Mr H has had it working. Think perhaps I need a change of profession.

gimbers

Post by gimbers » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:49 pm

Russ,

I hear you. All I am saying, and I couldn't have done it without Mr H if you're listening, is that the file he sent me had "default\x0D\x0Adefault" and what was needed was "Default\x0D\x0Adefault" (initial capital D).

Have you got the Lutron app working?

gimbers

Russ_270

Post by Russ_270 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:36 pm

I see. didn't spot the capital D until you pointed it out. Next time I'm on site I will give it a try.
Thanks for the advice.

Russ_270

Post by Russ_270 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Spent some time trying to get this working without success. If the initial command is sent with a capital D for device or not depends on what has been typed into the telnet login in details in the Lutron configuration. The integration protocol published by Lutron advises separate log in password and user name for each device, so I had already set different ones.

android

Post by android » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi
I have several demopad projects controlling both QS and Illumination.

If you send the file over I'm happy to take a look against mine.

Steve A is my ASM if you want a reference from him. Tell him its Andrew @ Girton.

Regards
A

Russ_270

Post by Russ_270 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for the offer that's very kind, however I never got as far as integrating the Lutron into my program. I just entered the commands into the add edit commands box and then tested them from there.

I wonder if I could spin things around on you and have a look at what you've done to see if I can spot where I've gone wrong.

You could send some thing to Steve for forwarding to avoid making email address public.

Thanks again.
Russell.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:48 pm

You can't test the commands from the pre-defined commands screen for Lutron, as the initial command for the device is not implemented on the Test button....if you upload to an iOS device first, then test from there...

Russ_270

Post by Russ_270 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:44 pm

That's interesting thank you. I do have one command linked to a button that should toggle the lights in the room I normally work in and I think I'm right, that any changes made to the command will be up loaded to the button next time I upload to the I pad. Just out of curiosity I did try it yesterday, after adding some equipment to the cinema room, with out success.

If instead of controlling via IP I use a Lutron RS232 interface and a Global cashe IP to RS232 adaptor should that work, and will the codes the same?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:51 am

RS232 control should work with the same commands yes, but so should ip control - if you want to send your project in to support@demopad.com we'll have a look for you. Suggest trying IP control with Hercules - this will ensure that you commands, username, password etc are correct.

Russ_270

Post by Russ_270 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:49 pm

To continue this saga. This week I've doing a different install but still with Lutron and Demopad and even though everyone else wanted to pack up, I could not resist wrighting one command to turn all the lights on. so on the 1st attempt and the 1st time I up load it, it works!
Only thing I did different, as time was short, was to wright the command direct to the button instead of saveing it to the device. Would this make a difference?
Not had time to experiment further.

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:57 pm

There is no difference between a command which is 'Entered Manually' or saved to the pre-defined commands section. Don't use the 'Test' command button in pre-defined commands to try Lutron commands though, as the initial command would not be sent.