IR Blaster & emitter location

General Discussion on DemoPad or related products
trikki69

IR Blaster & emitter location

Post by trikki69 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi,
I'm really interested in getting this software and associated hardware but I wanna make sure it does what and how I want before I buy. I'm currently using Gear4 unity remote and I'm annoyed at it's lack of features and that I have to replace the batteries every 2 weeks.

I have about 10 IR devices that I want to control... Dune HD, Xbox360, Oppo BD player, Laserdisc player, Marantz AV Pre/pro, HDD TV Recorder, HD-DVD player, TV, Projector and Projector screen.

Firstly, I have no idea what an IR Blaster or an IR emitter is. 3 emitters and 1 blaster is included with the hardware, is that good? Will I need more? Will I need more blasters or emitters to controll all the devices I need to control? :?

Obviously some of my devices don't sit next to each other, the projector screen IR receiver is in the top corner of the ceiling and my projector is about 6 metres away on the opposite side of the room on the ceilling.

How can I control my projector and projector screen without running additional cables to these devices? I don't really want to buy the Wifi to RS232 iTach as this just doubles the cost of installation for 1 basic bit of kit. :|

Any info is greatfully received.
Thanks,
Rick

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: IR Blaster & emitter location

Post by DemoPad » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 am

Hi - the IP2IR/WF2IR comes with 3 low power emitters and 1 blaster. The low power emitters will only work 1 piece of equipment at a time (unless pumped through an IR amplification/distribution system). They are typically stuck to the front panel of the equipment to be controlled.

The blaster can control several pieces of equipment, as it is a high power device, and should operate your projector if you point it in the general direction (as well as controlling anything else within line of sight of the blaster). The blaster can only be used on port 3 of the IP2IR, which has 3 IR ports.

Care should be taken when using the blaster to control many pieces of equipment, in case the IR codes from one device conflict with another.