New feature requests

General Discussion on DemoPad or related products
cv27

New feature requests

Post by cv27 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Could not find a previous thread on 'feature requests' (sorry if I missed it).

So, here's my wish list, previously shared with DemoPad support. It includes new features and some adjustments on current features. I'm posting this in the hope that others will confirm these are of a general nature or will add to it. The intention is to give DemoPad a sense of priority as to what its clients are looking for.

No particular order to this list; bold = my favorates.
  • - Real time clock, real time clock, real time clock ;)
    - Means of saving “options” or “preferences”; for example, a default destination directory (projects, images, etc.) and default values ('repeat command every x second', text size and color, etc.)
    - Multi-level undo
    - Initial main window always opens up at a specific coordinate when opening in non-maximized - mode, partially off-screen in my case (fix)
    - On iDevice, have some validation to ensure a valid IP address (ex: blank within the IP address)
    - On iDevice application settings, have a list of Project file names to choose from that have already been downloaded, instead of having to retype every time, not really knowing which have already been downloaded
    - Updated user manual with version number clearly displayed
    - In the Pre-defined commands window, have the option to sort device commands alphabetically. Currently, new device commands are always added at the end, making subsequent visual searches more difficult
    - When an object is selected and then moved with the keyboard arrows, the ‘repeat’ function of that key is not functional (fix)
    - Have an ‘index’ of where a flag/text/number variable is used
    - Have control over the 'z' order of images (what a pain!)
    - In the text options, include, as alignment options, a vertical dimension: top, middle, bottom
    - In the text options, include stacked lines of text, vertical text, more fonts and style (italic, bold, etc.)
    - Ability to copy and paste actions between buttons, with the option to do global changes on the list of actions. For example, change all “V1” for “V2” in the command list; useful when copying a set of actions where the reference to variables needs to be adjusted
    - Have a “shared code” facility; this could be implemented with a new command and new object; the command would look like “Execute command group xyz” and the object would have a look similar to the current action list of a button
    - Have the ability to do group changes on device command names
    - In the ‘find & replace’ function of the ‘Pre-defined commands’ dialog, have the ability to specify the starting position within the command(s) to start the match on. For example, replacing the repeat count on many Global Caché commands is a lengthy process because the only unique pattern is the frequency preceding the repeat count, but that frequency can vary by several clicks from one command to the other
    - Option to temporarily disable the 'button boundary' rectangle in the Designer to better assess the visual appearance of the page

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: New feature requests

Post by DemoPad » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 pm

Yep - most of those things are already on the development list in one form or another. There is an AV Pro - only feature request forum which is monitored, and contains most of the items here.

Some are not possible though, in particular the drop down list of existing projects on an iDevice settings page.

For the 'shared code' request, you can use numbers / custom actions to store macros which are recalled simply by setting the number variable to a certain value - this executes the list of commands associated with that number value.

You can use any font you want once the next version of the PC software goes live (version 1.4.1 of the app actually already supports it)

Any more suggestions welcome....but I suspect we already know about most of them!

callumridley

Post by callumridley » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:01 am

I have a feature request, I'm actually an AV professional but haven't yet told you that so I'll post it here instead.

Database integration!

Let us sync what's happening between iPads. If two people are in the same room and both have an iPad it would be great is the source selected on the tv for instance was automatically reflected on both iPads after only one of them has selected it. All it needs is a simple database full of state variables running on a raspberry pi or other home server.

I'm actually a savant programmer but I use your software at home because the likes of savant is simply not in my price range, your solution is great, I'd love to see it grow and have these more advanced features.

cv27

Re: New feature requests: around dimming

Post by cv27 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:49 pm

Just played around with the screen dimming command (1.33/1.4.2). Nice.

I don't know if this can be done programmatically, but here goes: it would be even nicer if the iDevice would come back at normal brightness when motion is sensed.

Unless I'm missing something (haven't played much with dimming yet), there is nothing to bring back brightness once it is set to a low level; it seems you would need an action on some button or swipe area to reactivate normal brightness; not easy when the display is dimmed low.

Anyone care to share their approach with dimming?

Idealhomes

Post by Idealhomes » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:21 am

Gauges work nicely with dimming, also using a number variable with push and hold on buttons and you get amazing control from 0-100 8-)
"Setting the Standard in Quality and Commitment"

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:26 am

cv27 wrote:Just played around with the screen dimming command (1.33/1.4.2). Nice.

I don't know if this can be done programmatically, but here goes: it would be even nicer if the iDevice would come back at normal brightness when motion is sensed.

Unless I'm missing something (haven't played much with dimming yet), there is nothing to bring back brightness once it is set to a low level; it seems you would need an action on some button or swipe area to reactivate normal brightness; not easy when the display is dimmed low.

Anyone care to share their approach with dimming?
We assumed that setting the brightness level to minimum would be done when, say, watching a movie (as well as disabling auto lock on the device). How about a page flip at the same time which takes you to a page which just has a large transparent button on it, which, when pressed, takes you back to the page you were on, and restores the brightness level at the same time.

cv27

Post by cv27 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 pm

DemoPad wrote: We assumed that setting the brightness level to minimum would be done when, say, watching a movie (as well as disabling auto lock on the device). How about a page flip at the same time which takes you to a page which just has a large transparent button on it, which, when pressed, takes you back to the page you were on, and restores the brightness level at the same time.
Excellent approach.

Motion sensing would have been nice, but this will work for me. Thanks.

cv27

Re: New feature requests - copy & paste, again

Post by cv27 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:18 pm

I would like to have the ability to Copy & paste action lists – practical example: I want to make the actions from a ‘release button’ also available on the ‘press & hold’ of that button. The ability to copy a list of actions (in its simplest form, the entire list) and paste it into another action list would save the time required to retype 30-40 actions and avoid typing mistakes.

This is a variant of a previous feature request, "Ability to copy and paste actions between buttons".

On the topic of reusable code, DemoPad support had suggested to set up 'macro' numbers with custom actions to hold commonly used actions: this works great if one has planned from the beginning; although efficient in terms of memory management, I find it not very obvious to understand, several months after implementing this, what is the impact on logic of setting a number value to 2, for example, in my coding. Agreed it is more obvious if I call the number 'Macro'.

But still, I would personally prefer to "... Have a “shared code” facility; this could be implemented with a new command and new object; the command would look like “Execute command group xyz” and the object would have a look similar to the current action list of a button ...". Add to that the option to replicate that object and modify the copy and all my wishes are granted in terms of copy & paste.

cv27

New feature requests - extended delay

Post by cv27 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:07 am

The maximum delay for actions in 'action lists' is 2 minutes. I need to set a cyclic action every hour, but it might even be every 24 hours.

Would it be possible to extend that maximum delay to 86400 seconds (24 hours)?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:56 am

You can use a repeating page load action, which say, adds 1 to a number variable every 60 seconds. When the number variable gets to 60, an hour has passed, and you can then perform your actions & reset the number to 0. Care should be taken to cope with situations like the app being in the background, or the iPad being off - because the actions would not repeat then.

Also, with 1.4.3 of the app, you can query the current time, so you could test for "1830" to perform actions at 6.30pm every day.

cv27

Post by cv27 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 pm

DemoPad wrote:You can use a repeating page load action, which say, adds 1 to a number variable every 60 seconds. When the number variable gets to 60, an hour has passed, and you can then perform your actions & reset the number to 0. Care should be taken to cope with situations like the app being in the background, or the iPad being off - because the actions would not repeat then.

Also, with 1.4.3 of the app, you can query the current time, so you could test for "1830" to perform actions at 6.30pm every day.
I think I understand your suggestion. Here's what I aim to accomplish.

My DemoPad home automation set up allows me, for example, to dim the lights when I start playing a movie or brighten the lights when I press pause or stop on a movie. My objective is to allow these actions only if it is night time.

My approach was to have a number 'Current_hour' with custom actions; the trigger values would be:
  • 0 to 6: set a flag 'Night' on AND set number 'Current_hour' to #CURRENTHOUR after a delay of (maximum) 120 seconds.
    17 to 23: set a flag 'Night' on AND set number 'Current_hour' to #CURRENTHOUR after a delay of (maximum) 120 seconds.
    7 to 16: set a flag 'Night' off AND set number 'Current_hour' to #CURRENTHOUR after a delay of (maximum) 120 seconds.
This way the custom actions get fired up cyclically (unfortunately every 2 minutes) so that the 'Night' flag is up to date.

I would then invoke an action when playing, pausing or stopping a device that in effect would initiate a command to my home automation lighting system but dependent on the flag 'Night' being On. This action of dimming/brightening is invoked in many action lists, thus the idea of concentrating the processing of the current hour in one place and using a resulting dependent flag to affect lighting or not.

Note: I have DemoPad on my iDevice in multitasking mode.

What benefit would there be of using a page load approach as you suggest?

Do you see any gotcha's in my approach?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:57 am

Ah ok, I thought you just wanted to do something every hour, or every 2 hours. If all you want to do is keep a 'NIGHTTIME' flag accurate, why not just use a page load repeating action which sets Current_Hour to #CURRENTHOUR every 60 seconds or so (or every 5 seconds if you want, there is almost no processing cost to doing this). Then all the custom actions do is set the 'NIGHTTIME' flag to the appropriate value as you suggested, rather than the custom actions also recursively reading in #CURRENTHOUR as well.

Either way should work.

cv27

Post by cv27 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:39 pm

DemoPad wrote:... just use a page load repeating action which sets Current_Hour to #CURRENTHOUR every 60 seconds or so (or every 5 seconds if you want, there is almost no processing cost to doing this) ...
I like the sound of "almost no processing cost". Would the page load action keep repeating even if I jump to another page?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:47 pm

No, page load actions stop when you jump away - but nothing to stop you having the same actions on each page that the NIGHTTIME variable is used.

cv27

Post by cv27 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:04 pm

cv27 wrote:Could not find a previous thread on 'feature requests' (sorry if I missed it).

So, here's my wish list, previously shared with DemoPad support. It includes new features and some adjustments on current features. I'm posting this in the hope that others will confirm these are of a general nature or will add to it. The intention is to give DemoPad a sense of priority as to what its clients are looking for.

No particular order to this list; bold = my favorates.
  • - [Done] Real time clock, real time clock, real time clock
    - Means of saving “options” or “preferences”; for example, a default destination directory (projects, images, etc.) and default values ('repeat command every x second', text size and color, etc.)
    - Multi-level undo
    - Initial main window always opens up at a specific coordinate when opening in non-maximized - mode, partially off-screen in my case (fix)
    - On iDevice, have some validation to ensure a valid IP address (ex: blank within the IP address)
    - [Can't be done according to DP] On iDevice application settings, have a list of Project file names to choose from that have already been downloaded, instead of having to retype every time, not really knowing which have already been downloaded
    - Updated user manual with version number clearly displayed. Will there be a "next" version of the documentation? ;)
    - In the Pre-defined commands window, have the option to sort device commands alphabetically. Currently, new device commands are always added at the end, making subsequent visual searches more difficult
    - When an object is selected and then moved with the keyboard arrows, the ‘repeat’ function of that key is not functional (fix)
    - Have an ‘index’ of where a flag/text/number variable is used
    - [not sure this is implemented] Have control over the 'z' order of images (what a pain!)
    - In the text options, include, as alignment options, a vertical dimension: top, middle, bottom
    - In the text options, include stacked lines of text, vertical text, more fonts and style (italic, bold, etc.)
    - Ability to copy and paste actions between buttons, with the option to do global changes on the list of actions. For example, change all “V1” for “V2” in the command list; useful when copying a set of actions where the reference to variables needs to be adjusted
    - [workaround was suggested by DemoPad] Have a “shared code” facility; this could be implemented with a new command and new object; the command would look like “Execute command group xyz” and the object would have a look similar to the current action list of a button
    - Have the ability to do group changes on device command names; ex: add/change a prefix to all command names
    - In the ‘find & replace’ function of the ‘Pre-defined commands’ dialog, have the ability to specify the starting position within the command(s) to start the match on. For example, replacing the repeat count on many Global Caché commands is a lengthy process because the only unique pattern is the frequency preceding the repeat count, but that frequency can vary by several clicks from one command to the other
    - Option to temporarily disable the 'button boundary' rectangle in the Designer to better assess the visual appearance of the page
I just finished a rework of one of my designs and felt some old pains that reminded me of this feature request list.

Can DemoPad tell us which of these features have some hope of getting implemented and which we should forget about?