Latest iPad App Update

General Discussion on DemoPad or related products
limeyb**tard

Latest iPad App Update

Post by limeyb**tard » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Updated to version 1.4.1 this morning and now several of the features that worked in the previous version (1.3.9) seem to be non-functional, in particular it seems to be features that rely on 2-way feedback from the Denon Amp and from XBMC. I am currently trying to debug it further but just wondered if anyone else was having similar issues.

Thanks

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: Latest iPad App Update

Post by DemoPad » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:54 pm

We've had one other report yes, though we are having difficulty duplicating the issue. Generic 2-way feedback seems to work fine as far as we can test. Can I suggest you power off your iPad (press & hold the power button, then swipe to turn off) and then power it back on & see if that helps.

If not, please email support@demopad.com with a copy of your project so we can figure out what's going on.

limeyb**tard

Post by limeyb**tard » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:20 pm

I have cycled the iPad and the problem remains. Here is what i have observed

the previous concatenation issue for adding variables to dynamic labels has been resolved...thanks

2-way feedback from XBMC with the GetCurrentlyPlaying() command returns two resopnses, 1st HTTP/1.1 200 OK/x0D followed by a page of parameters in the form of a list with each starting with the <li> tag but no closing tag. 2-way feedback was configured to look for the closing </html> tag as the /x0D/x0A tags stop the data collection at the end of the first response. This configuration worked well in version 1.3.9. For 1.4.1 it seems that the response is captured very rarely. it can take 10 minutes for the buttons in the GUI to refresh following a parameter change in XBMC and a poll of the GetCurrentlyPlaying() function every 2 seconds. If i look at the returned string in XBMC it only displays the first response. WIreshark shows that the response from XBMC is correctly formatted.

Denon IP feedback is also showing the same signs of intermittent capture. Unfortunately i cannot monitor this as there can only be a single client session to the pre-amp at one time and that is the iPad. Again this was working well in 1.3.9

limeyb**tard

Post by limeyb**tard » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:05 am

After a great deal of excellent help from the DemoPad support group I have a working system. Thanks

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:00 pm

limeyb**tard wrote:After a great deal of excellent help from the DemoPad support group I have a working system. Thanks
Would you mind giving the details in case others have the same issues.
Thanks

limeyb**tard

Post by limeyb**tard » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:31 am

Most of the issues I was seeing were related to 2-way feedback from XBMC using the HTTPAPI. I rely on the feedback to set the current state and display thumbnails within the GUI etc. In version 1.4.1 the "disconnect after each command" flag was functioning differently to the way it did in 1.3.9 and the IP connection was being dropped before the feedback was received. In 1.3.9 the "maintain active connection" flag in the 2-way panel was holding open the connection.

With 1.3.9 I was seeing a latency in the HTTPAPI commands being executed and following a previous post on this forum I set both options to enabled. This cured the latency issues in 1.3.9. For 1.4.1 having both of these options set was causing the 2-way feedback to fail.

The settings i use for 2-way feedback in XBMC are as follows and they are working fine:

Device Settings:
IP address of the XBMC Host
port of the host, I use 8080 but you should check yours
Command Suffix \x0D\x0A
Disconnect after each command UN-CHECKED

2-Way Feedback:
Response Terminator </html> This proved to be vital to getting correct feedback for parsing with REGEX as there is no end of line or carriage return sent in response to most of the commands such as GetCurrentlyPlaying(). The returned data is simply a list of parameters.
Maintain Active Connection CHECKED

hope this helps anyone with similar issues, XBMC is great but can be a bit unforgiving

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks. I am just about to add some feedback to my XBMC setup.
What was the issue with Denon ??
I have two Denon receivers that are providing and seem to be OK, but I am only sending status data to Demopad.

limeyb**tard

Post by limeyb**tard » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Denon seemed to be intermittent in receiving 2-way status feedback but that was never really resolved by any action...it went away when i un-installed the app and re-installed it from iTunes. I really only use the volume status (MV) to generate a volume indicator on the pad and the power on/off and mute on/off as indicators.

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:38 am

Thanks...
Take it you must be an expat like me :)

limeyb**tard

Post by limeyb**tard » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:55 am

how'd you tell ;)