Gesture Control

General Discussion on DemoPad or related products
d_hero

Gesture Control

Post by d_hero » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:26 pm

I cant remember if ive asked this and it doesnt allow me to search for the word "gesture" so my question is, do you plan to implement it in the software? I do like the fact that with a hard button remote, you can do certain things without having to look, and therefore gestures would go someway to allowing this to happen i think without having to pickup and look at an ipad, if there was a gesture area in the middle, that would be very useful. I can think of lots of different uses so if it can be implemented, it would be brilliant

DemoPad
Site Admin

Re: Gesture Control

Post by DemoPad » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Nice timing for the question - version 1.4.1 of the app, due out any day now, supports the following action events:

press button (already in the software) - which always fires, then one of:

release button (already in the software)
swipe up
swipe down
swipe left
swipe right
double tap

You can also specify press & hold actions, which can repeat, eg for volume up/down.

Any button can have any combination of these actions.

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:30 pm

is 1.4.1 the version of the ipad app or the demo designer? Because in the designer I cant see yet how to add these swipes. Thanks

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 am

when the app is released, we will release the designer software version to enable it.

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi guys

Gesture control is looking good, seems to work well, id only say its a little sensitive? what i mean is that sometimes i registers a click instead of a swipe but that could be user error.

Can i make one request if possible. In addition to the current gestures, could you implement swipe-and-hold? so swiping up and holding could scroll up in list for example with a repeating action?

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:14 pm

Just want to add a bit more after using this for a while. Can I request a couple more gestures? I like the following if at all possible:

Swipe and hold in all directions,
2 Finger swipe (and hold) in all directions,
2 finger tap and double tap.

Also, is there anyway to stop the "button press" from firing when using the gestures? If i have a large button that has up, down, left and right swipe, and then a select action on tap, then every time I swipe, I also get a select, which doesn't work very well. i dont really want to have to work with flags etc but if thats the only way for now then i guess ill have to do that, but it seems more like a work around to do it that way than they way it should be

Edit: In fact ive just tried it with flags and it doesnt seem to work anyway

Idealhomes

Post by Idealhomes » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:31 pm

d_hero wrote:Just want to add a bit more after using this for a while. Can I request a couple more gestures? I like the following if at all possible:

Swipe and hold in all directions,
2 Finger swipe (and hold) in all directions,
2 finger tap and double tap.

Also, is there anyway to stop the "button press" from firing when using the gestures? If i have a large button that has up, down, left and right swipe, and then a select action on tap, then every time I swipe, I also get a select, which doesn't work very well. i dont really want to have to work with flags etc but if thats the only way for now then i guess ill have to do that, but it seems more like a work around to do it that way than they way it should be

Edit: In fact ive just tried it with flags and it doesnt seem to work anyway
How about using images as your "icon/button look" and place a transparent blank on top as the "button", you can then set the transparent button to do all the gestures and it will not effect the "image"....
"Setting the Standard in Quality and Commitment"

trevorst

Post by trevorst » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:54 pm

I have noticed the same thing...
It is impossible to use either a click or press and hold in conjunction with a swipe gesture on the same button.
Any swipe will activate both the click and press and hold item.
Also the click and press and hold activate each other even if there is no swipe involved. :o

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 am

Yes, this is as it was designed to work:

the press event always occurs
the press & hold event always occurs

then, one of the following actions will occur:

release (which you should use for 'tapping' the button as standard)
swipe (left, right, up or down)
double tap

Special case if you have any press actions, the release actions will always fire as well.

Press & hold was really for standalone buttons like Volume Up etc, not really for using on a gesture area along with other events.

A typical gesture area will have swipe up/down/left/right/double tap and release actions - only 1 of which will fire. Don't use press / press & hold in the same area, as these will always fire.

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Ok so the correct way to have a gesture pad with up down left right and tap is to use the release for the tap?

Also any input as regards the extra gestures I requested? Would that be possible?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 am

Correct - use the release action type. You should really be using the release for all 'normal' buttons too - the idea being that if someone presses & button & then decides they don't want to do it, they can slide their finger off it & no action will be performed.

We'll have a look at your other gesture suggestions too.

d_hero

Post by d_hero » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:19 am

Ok, well thats works well and saves me having to use flasgs to disable the "Tap" when swiping. The only negative i can find (its a small one) is that there now seems to be a delay on the release action, no matter how fast I tap and release, theres a small delay on sending the command, and a small delay where the button goes dark for short time while its "thinking about it". Its not a big problem but adds enough delay to feel like you havent pressed it properly and then press it again. I dont get this delay on the release action on any other button, even when configuring the same command on another button.

also thanks for looking into the gestures, would be great to have those extras. I should have added that any swipe and hold functions would need the option to have a repeating command assigned to them too.

Thanks for your continued helps guys, software is getting better and better

cv27

Post by cv27 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Looking for feedback on this one...

Just for fun, I've implemented a 'swipe area' on a given page, which is really another, larger, button with swipe actions. My objective though is to implement the same type of swipping as available with IOS: you can click buttons but also swipe anywhere on the page to shift pages.

So, here's my plan:
  • - Create a page with a transparent button as large as the page
    - Merge that newly created page with another main page
Any of you tried this, does it work? Is there a better way to do this?

DemoPad
Site Admin

Post by DemoPad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:25 pm

You'll have to make sure the transparent button is added to the page first (and hence 'at the back') otherwise you won't be able to press any other buttons. This should work, but I'd say it would be better to have a definable area (say across the bottom of the page) for swiping, with no overlapping buttons.

cv27

Post by cv27 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:07 pm

DemoPad wrote:You'll have to make sure the transparent button is added to the page first (and hence 'at the back') otherwise you won't be able to press any other buttons...
Another reason to implement Z-order control... couldn't resist :)

But thanks for the reply. I have 16 sub-pages already on my main page, so I guess I'll give up on this for now.

Just curious though, when adding the page link, do the portait and landscape versions of the original page get merged?