lg oled rs232

General Discussion on DemoPad or related products
Nnuudd

lg oled rs232

Post by Nnuudd » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:14 pm

hi!
has anyone had any experience of controlling lg with rs232. I have connected the 3.5 jack to a centro 8m and tried codes I found on the internet with no luck, plus connecting using Hercules to see if I get any feedback but getting nothing at all. wondering if the port has to be enabled in a service menu?

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/lg47la62 ... 1388519161

ask4mikie

Re: lg oled rs232

Post by ask4mikie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:42 am

Hi,

I was wondering if you still needed help with rs-232 on your lg tv?

The first thing I can tell you is you must have the correct cable or rs-232 will never work. There are 2 types of cable, named "straight through" and "null modem."

Straight Through Cable Pinout

Tx 2_______________________2 Tx

Rx 3_______________________3 Rx

G 5_______________________5 Gnd

As you can see, in this cable pin 2 on one end connects "straight through" to pin 2 on the other end. Tx is Transmit, and Rx is Receive. In other uses of rs-232, some of the other pins are used, but in the AV world this simple setup with 3 wires is normal. I should also note that I am referring to the pins on a 9-pin rs-232 connector. The cable for the lg is a special case.

Null Modem Cable Pinout

Tx 2_______________________3 Rx

Rx 3_______________________2 Tx

Gnd 5_______________________5 Gnd

In the null modem cable, notice that the Tx and Rx Pins are cross-connected, that Tx on one end is connected to Rx on the other, and vice-versa.

You will also need to set the rs-232 parameters correctly for communications to occurr.

Let me know if you need more assistance, and also the model number of your lg tv.

Mike

Nnuudd

Re: lg oled rs232

Post by Nnuudd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:53 am

Thanks mike

I did try both pin outs but didnt have any luck and i think the parameters were corect but as i struggled to find much information on it then it may not have been.

My tv is LG OLED65E6V
I will get it all out and give it another go
Thanks for your help!